Tuesday 11 January 2011

11/1/11 - birds, J Eastwood and P Clark



Today I have made a proper start to focus 2 of this project.
The project is still (loosely) based on T.S Eliot’s poem ‘The Wasteland’ but I am focusing on the bird imagery and making this my base for visual research. However I am still combining my drawings with text, making text drawings, and hopefully putting text into my weaving.
I began the day by going to the Castle Museum where they have a brilliant bird room. There is every bird you can think of from crows and magpies to pelicans and eagles. I did a few sketches of crows and gulls when I was there but will be going back a lot more over the coming days and weeks.
In the afternoon I had a tutorial with Jane Eastwood (http://janeeastwooddesign.com/index.htm, a textiles designer and weaver). This tutorial really helped me and got me even more excited for this project. She understood where I was coming from when I said I wanted to use words and use them in a more unconventional way, and has given me lots to think about. Jane also gave me the name of artist Paul Clark who makes collages from found papers – maps, tickets, stamps etc. I love his work and the idea of old paper/ text is really exciting. The way he has folded and chosen which papers/colours/textures to use is very inspiring and has got me thinking about my text and where I can source it from.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, If you check out the new edition of selvedge, there's an article on peter clark and his paper creations. His wife, Karen Nicol has also started bringing mixed media into her work...you can see a correlation between both their work :) enjoy!

    ReplyDelete