Monday 2 May 2011

Hello Panda

making some props





breaking down costumes





breakdown with "blood"






a few alterations here and there ...




fittings




So the last month has been my busiest month ever! I have been on work experience and it has been one of the best experiences in my life! I was working in the wardrobe department of the Traverse Theatre on the play 'Pandas'. I was lucky enough to work under Sarah Holland the wonderful wardrobe supervisor and got to be part of the pre-production week, production week and the opening shows.

Pre-production week involved meetings with the rest of the crew, sourcing costumes, buying costumes and fittings. Since this is a contemporary play most of the costumes were bought in shops and online – although this proved a bit of a challenge when there were specific items to find and they had gone out of season, or just don’t exist.

Production week involved run-throughs, tech week and alterations. I learnt a lot about altering the clothes and got to make some props for the stage too. Tech week is all about syncing everything together – the sound, lights and actors – to the millisecond!

Before the opening shows there were preview shows, in which there was still time to make changes to the play. There was also press night which was a fantastic opportunity to meet others in the theatre business and ask loads of questions.

I literally have had the most fantastic time on this work experience, and have learnt loads too. I learnt how to break-down costumes, make alterations, use an industrial sewing machine, and see how a professional play is put together. I hope to use the skill I have learnt into my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment